Sutton Coldfield was originally granted a charter of incorporation to be a Royal Town from Henry VIII in 1528. The town has a historical connection to the British Royal Family and thus received the title of Royal Town when it was a municipal borough and part of Warwickshire. When the Local Government Act of 1972 came about in 1974, Sutton Coldfield became part of Birmingham and the wider West Midlands.
Sutton Coldfield makes up a number of districts including Wylde Green and Boldmere to the south of the town centre, Mere Green and Four Oaks to the north and Walmley to the south east.The town is well known for its 2000+ acres of natural parklands. Sutton Coldfield Park extends across a good deal of the Constituency of Sutton Coldfield and is Birmingham’s largest park and an example of the extensive forest that covered much of the Midlands.
Sutton Coldfield has been an affluent area in the past leading to the construction of manors and other large houses.
Rather awesomely, Sutton Coldfield has its own football club – Sutton Coldfield Rugby Football Club. It was first formed in 1879 and they played their first game at ”Meadow Plat” in Sutton Park. The club is now known as Sutton Town and amalgamated with Brookvale Athletic FC.